How do I edit a password?
You can edit or view details of the passwords that are stored for your sites in your vault. For example, you can disable autofill for a password, or attach a file to it, even view its login history.
- While logged in to LastPass, you can update a password any of the following ways:
Update Method Instructions LastPass browser extension
- Select in your toolbar.
- Go to .
- Hover over your item and select .
From within your vault
- Locate your desired password in your vault.
- Select .
In-field icon on website
- Within the username or password field of a site, select the active LastPass icon .
- Select .
- Make your desired changes.
- Optional: If desired, you can also:
- Select a folder to store your password in
- Above the Username or Site password fields, select to see previously used login info
- In the Site password field, select to view the password and/or reveal text as you type
- Select Advanced Settings and enable any of the following settings:
- Require master password reprompt
- Click Add Attachment to add file(s) to this password (learn more below)
- Select to mark this password as a Favorite
- Select , then enter the email address of your recipient and click Share (learn more about this feature)
- Select to delete the item (i.e., send to Deleted Items)
- Select to make changes to the associated form fields
- Click Save.
Prevent the in-field icon from appearing for specific site passwords
If you do not want the gray in-field autofill LastPass icon to appear in your login fields, you can disable it within your LastPass browser extension Preferences to remove it for all sites, or add a site as a Never URL so that the icon does not appear for specific sites.
About adding attachments to passwords
- Must be a supported file type: "avi", "csv", "doc", "docx", "gif", "htm", "html", "jpeg", "jpg", "key", "log", "m4a", "mov", "mpg", "odt", "pdf", "png", "ppt", "pptx", "rar", "rtf", "tif", "tiff", "tsv", "txt", "wav", "wmv", "xls", "xlsx", "zip"
- Each attachment file can be up to 10 MB in size, and your total storage limits are dependent on your account type (i.e., Free users have up to 50 MB whereas Premium, Families, Teams, and LastPass Business accounts have up to 1 GB).
- Attachments cannot be opened from the online vault in a web browser (i.e., logging in to https://www.lastpass.com). You can only download attachments by logging in using the LastPass browser extension, desktop app, or mobile app.
- If changes are made to an attachment, the updated version of the file must be uploaded as a new attachment.