Generate Secure Passwords
Create the most secure and random passwords by using our built-in password generator for a site, then store those sites in your LastPass vault. It is recommended to use generated passwords as much as possible as a security best practice.
- Click the inactive (grey or black) LastPass icon in your web browser toolbar.
- Enter your email address and master password, then click Log In.
Result: An active LastPass icon is displayed and you are now logged in.
- Navigate to a website for which you'd like to generate a new secure password. Or, if you want to change the password for a site with one that is generated by LastPass, log in to your desired site and access your account's login settings.
- Generate a secure password by doing any of the following:
Feature in LastPass Instructions Using the in-field icon Click the Generate Password icon in the Password field. Using the web browser extension
- Click the LastPass icon .
- Click Generate Secure Password.
From within your vault
- Click the LastPass icon and select Open My Vault.
- Go to /
- If desired, you can customize your password settings, which will create a new password based on your selections. Select Show Options (if using the in-field icon), otherwise you can choose from the following options:
- Slide the marker to select your desired Password length (or type a number in the text field) – up to 100 characters max
- Easy to say – Does not include numbers or special characters
- Easy to read – Does not include ambiguous characters (I vs. l, O vs. 0)
- All characters – Includes any type of character
- Additionally, you can:
- Copy to copy the new password to your clipboard
- Generate New to create a new secure password
- Show History to see previously generated passwords
- Once your selections have been made, select Fill Password (or Copy Password, if you are generating from within your vault).
- When prompted in the upper-right navigation, click Add (to add a new set of credentials) or Update (to update an existing set of credentials) with your newly generated secure password.
- Once added, it is recommended that you log out and log back in with the newly generated secure password.