Share passwords with groups in LastPass Business
LastPass Business admins can share a set of login credentials across an entire group of users within their company. This can be beneficial for onboarding purposes, so that shared credentials for third-party apps and services can be provided via LastPass and pre-populated into the vaults of a group of new users.
Before you begin: Review a brief overview of the process:
- Create a group (or use a group from directory integrations)
- Create a shared folder.
- Invite your group to the shared folder with desired access permissions.
- Add items to the shared folder.
About this task: To share passwords and/or notes securely with a group of users, do the following:
Create a group.
- If you already have an existing group that was created via directory integrations, skip to Step #7 below. Otherwise, if you need to create a new group manually, continue to the next step.
- Log in with your email address and master password to access the new Admin Console at https://admin.lastpass.com.
- If prompted, complete steps for multifactor authentication (if it is enabled for your account).
- Go to .
- Enter a name for the group.
- To add users later, click Save & Exit. Otherwise, do the following:
- Select Save & Assign Users.
- Select users for the group and click Assign Users.
Create a shared folder.
- Log in to LastPass and access your vault by doing either of the following:
- In your web browser toolbar, click the LastPass icon and select Vault or Open My Vault.
- Go to https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 and log in with your email address and master password.
- Create a shared folder manually, or convert an existing folder into a shared folder by doing either of the following:
Action in LastPass Instructions Create a shared folder manually
- Select Sharing Center in the left navigation.
- Select the Manage Shared Folders tab.
- Select the Add Shared Folder icon .
- Enter a name for your shared folder, then select Create.
Convert an existing folder to a shared folder
- Locate your existing folder in your vault.
- Right-click on the folder, then select Share.
- Enter a name for your newly converted shared folder, then select Create.
Invite your group to the shared folder.
- Select Sharing Center in the left navigation.
- On the Manage Shared Folders tab, hover over your desired shared folder and select Manage.
- In the Invite Users or Groups field, search for and select the group you want to invite. Once selected, the group is displayed on the left side of the pane.
Tip: If desired, you can enable the "Prohibit shared folders outside organization" general policy if you do not want to allow users (who belong to your company) to share folders with anyone outside of your company (permitting specific domains, if needed). Learn how to manage general policies.
- In the Permissions section, select your desired settings for the access you want to set for the users of your group. Enable any of the following settings:
- Read Only (recommended) – Prohibits the users of the group from adding/removing items to/from a shared folder. It also prevents them from saving any updated username, password or secure note information to the folder. Learn more about access permissions
- Administrator (not recommended) – Grants the users of the group equal admin rights over the shared folder, including adding and removing users and restricting access to individual site passwords in the folder. Learn more about access permissions
- Hide Passwords (recommended) – Prevents the users of the group from viewing the site password entries. Learn more about hidden passwords.
- Select Invite, and the invited users of the group are added to the list of approved users.
Tip: You can view the "Invite Accepted" column on the right side of the pane to track when the users of the group accept your invitation via the Sharing Center within their own account.
- Select Save when finished.
Move items into your shared folder.
- In your vault, select All items in the left navigation.
- Choose any of the options below to move your item:
Tip: To move multiple items at once, check the boxes in the upper-right corner of each, then click on one of the selected items and drag them to your desired folder, which will move all selected items.
Action in LastPass Instructions Drag-and-Drop
Click an item and drag it under your desired folder.
Right-click your item and select Move to Folder, then select your desired shared folder.
- Enable the checkbox(es) in the upper-right corner of each item.
- Use the Actions drop-down menu and select Organize or Move to Folder, then select your desired shared folder.
Edit a Password or Note You can also move an item to a shared folder when you are editing it. For more information, see Edit a password and Edit or delete a note.
- Optional: If you have a lot of items that already exist in LastPass (and you want to automate adding a bulk set of vault items at once), you can do the following:
- Export your vault data as a LastPass encrypted file (CSV).
- Update the file to only include the passwords and notes you want to share with your group. Be sure to update the "Grouping" column (of the exported file) with your shared folder name exactly as it appears in your vault. (e.g., Shared-Company Resources).
- Import your LastPass encrypted file back in to LastPass.
Results: You have successfully shared passwords and/or notes with the users of your selected group in your company account.