Why do I keep getting prompted to change my master password when I log in to LastPass?
If you have recently added a new site entry but are now being prompted to change your master password, your LastPass admin has enforced the "Prohibit reuse of old master passwords" policy for your business account.
When this policy is in place, it means you cannot have a site password entry that matches your previous or current master password. You can resolve this by changing your site password, then deleting and purging the site password entries and adding your site entries to your vault again.
- Open a private web browser window that does not have the LastPass browser extension enabled.
- Navigate to your recently added site, then update your site password (within the site's settings, not in LastPass) to a unique password or generate a secure password.
- Repeat Step #2 for any other recently added site password entries that have matched your previous or current Master Password.
- Open a new web browser window where the LastPass browser extension is installed.
- Log in to LastPass and access your vault by doing either of the following:
- In your web browser toolbar, click the LastPass icon then click Open My Vault.
- Go to https://lastpass.com/?ac=1 and log in with your email address and master password.
- Delete the stored site(s) that you updated in Step #2 by clicking the Delete icon .
- Purge your recently deleted site(s):
- Select Advanced Options in the left navigation.
- Select View deleted items.
- Click the Delete icon for each site entry.
- When prompted, click Yes to permanently delete.
- Navigate to the site(s) that you recently purged, then log in to each site.
- When prompted to add to LastPass, click Add.