Why is LastPass removing the Android in-app mobile browser?
On the Android mobile app, you can add your stored credentials from the LastPass app into your default mobile browser directly via autofill. This effectively streamlines the filling experience, and as a result, the built-in mobile browser in the LastPass app is being removed.
What is happening, and when?
The built-in mobile browser in the LastPass app for Android is being removed from the app beginning mid-July 2022. This is a result of streamlining the filling experience with the introduction of the ability to autofill. Credentials stored in your vault on the mobile app are now seamlessly filled for you using your chosen default mobile browser.
All shortcuts created via the in-app mobile browser in the LastPass app for Android are no longer supported on devices running Android OS 7 and below. Previously, these shortcuts were used for launching sites that autofilled login credentials via LastPass from the device's Home screen.
Why is the in-app browser being removed?
- LastPass now offers the ability to fill information using the default mobile browser of your choice. Currently, the in-app browser launches when you search or launch a website from your Android mobile LastPass app. By removing the in-app browser, LastPass will limit searches to your mobile vault and will launch your sites directly into your device’s default browser.
- The removal of the in-app browser on Android reduces the attack surface for threat actors.
- It takes significant effort to build and maintain a secure browser that meets today’s standards, and there are many great browsers available for free to users, thus we shifted our focus from developing the in-app browser.
Why is the LastPass Keyboard being removed?
LastPass is removing LastPass Keyboard in the LastPass app for Android because we now offer the ability to fill information via the inline autofill feature.
How do I choose my default mobile browser?
- Open your Android device settings.
- Search "default apps".
- Set your default browser in the Browser app menu.
What is autofill?
Autofill allows credentials stored in your vault on the LastPass app for Android to be seamlessly filled for you in your chosen default mobile browser – no copying & pasting required!
How do I enable autofill?
To enable autofill, log in to the LastPass app for Android, then go to . Learn more & view detailed instructions.
How do I use autofill?
When entering credentials for a website into a mobile browser, LastPass offers to fill matching credentials for the site either via a drop-down menu or on top of your mobile keyboard (coming soon) via autofill. Learn more & view detailed instructions.